About Usstory | mission/vision | beliefs
After several years of operating as a local church, the leadership of Outpost Church felt God closing that season to prepare us for a new one. The vision was to focus on our strengths of teaching and events, and serve as a resourcing ministries to help both individuals and churches grow in living out their faith.
In 2020, we look forward to seeing how God leads us in that direction. All the while, our core values, beliefs and commitments remain the same. These are reflected in the sections below.
It’s not supposed to be this way.
But it doesn’t have to stay this way.
Mission / Vision
Outpost Church Ministries exists to help people and churches become outposts of a faith that changes the world.
Our vision is to see more and more people reject passive religion and embrace their God-given calling to “drive back the darkness” as fully-devoted followers of Jesus. We want to see God transform lives, families and communities as we build a better world together for His glory.
The Core Beliefs of outpostChurch are not simply facts we accept with our minds, but truths we embrace with our lives. They give shape to our walk with Jesus and clarity to our theological positions, and while we seek harmony with all people in love, we stand by these beliefs as true and unwavering. This is not an exhaustive list of everything we believe, nor a full list of all of the Scriptures that support these beliefs. Rather, these are the essentials, the starting place from which we build.
7 CORE BELIEFS
- God is One God in three Persons, Father, Son and Holy Spirit. (Genesis 1:26; Matthew 28:19-20; Luke 3:21-22)
- God the Father loves all people and desires relationship with them through Jesus Christ. (1 Timothy 2:3-6)
- Jesus is God and the only source of salvation and eternal life. (John 10:30-33; John 14:6-11)
- The Holy Spirit works transformation and miracles in and through the lives of followers of Christ. (John 14:12-17)
- The Bible is true, inspired by God, foundational to our faith, and authoritative for our lives. (2 Timothy 3:16-17)
- Salvation is a free gift from God that comes to those who respond to the Gospel by turning towards God and away from sin, not through self-effort, but by trusting Jesus as Savior and surrendering to Him as Lord. (Mark 1:15; Ephesians 2:8-9)
- The Church is God’s plan to show His glory to the world by reconciling people to Himself through the sharing and showing of the Gospel. (2 Corinthians 5:17-19; Eph. 3:20-21)
THE APOSTLES’ CREED
I believe in God, the Father almighty, creator of heaven and earth.
I believe in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord,
who was conceived by the Holy Spirit,
suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, died, and was buried;
He descended to the dead.
On the third day He rose again;
He ascended into heaven,
He will come to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit,
the holy catholic* Church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and the life everlasting.
• MIRACULOUS GIFTS are for today, and are given at the Holy Spirit’s sole discretion for the glorification of Jesus and the building up of the Church.
• DIVINE HEALING is something God loves to do and often does. It is accomplished through the Holy Spirit and empowered by our faith, but it is ultimately at God’s discretion and is not always guaranteed.
• SPEAKING IN TONGUES is a spiritual gift given to God’s people as the Holy Spirit so chooses, and is helpful for increasing our faith and building up the Church. It is neither a guarantee to all followers of Jesus, nor a sign of baptism in the Holy Spirit, nor a sign of spiritual maturity. When practiced privately it is beneficial for individuals, and when practiced publicly, it must be accompanied by another person’s Spirit-empowered interpretation, and must be done “decently and in order.”
• MEN AND WOMEN are equally loved and valued by God, equally gifted by the Holy Spirit, and equally needed in the Church and society. They are also different in wiring and function, and are designed to complement one another in a way that mirrors Christ’s relationship with His Church. As such, both men and women can and should teach and lead in all capacities in the Church, except for the office of Elder/Senior Pastor, which should be held by a qualified man.
• SEX is a good gift given by God for enjoyment and the procreation of humankind. Because of its incredible power to both bond and break, God’s design is for it to be expressed only within the context of a covenant marriage between a man and a woman. All forms of expression outside of this should be repented of and avoided, including pornography, fornication, homosexuality, polygamy, incest, and bestiality.
• ALCOHOL is a gift of God (Psalm 104:14-15) to be enjoyed in moderation, and may be used wisely, never in excess. Drunkenness is a sin and should be avoided, as is behaving in any way that causes someone else to “stumble.” As such, it should be avoided in contexts where it would be a hardship or offense to someone else. (Romans 14:21-22)